The Director, Media Relations – Merchandise Initiatives is an advanced media relations position for a specialist with 10+ years of public relations experience. The appropriate candidate will be an experienced strategist with a clear understanding of consumer / business media, excellent writing skills, and strong demonstration of leadership. The Media Relations Director will lead activity in assigned areas of business – in this case with content/pitching/responding to media for Macy’s national merchandise initiatives (including fashion, home and beauty) and cause-related campaigns. This person will be energetic, highly motivated, conscientious and detail-oriented – a driven leader who takes initiative in developing new ideas and solving programs through collaboration. This candidate is a high-potential executive who displays strong and positive leadership potential, is proactive and aggressive in driving programs from start to finish, and is dedicated to championing the company's business objectives and delivering performance results. This person will have responsibility for budget oversight and management of several direct reports.
The selected candidate will be responsible for developing and implementing effective communications plans to support company goals and major programs. These include:
• Develops and implements short and long term strategies for major national programs (national merchandise initiatives and cause-related campaigns)
• Monitors trend changes in earned, owned and paid media to inform strategies
• Cultivate strong relationships with all levels of leadership internally and externally (vendor/sponsor/non-profit partners)
• Implementing and leading strategy - inclusive of cross-functional teams and agency partners – ultimately generating positive media coverage
• Innovate across areas of responsibility to ensure currency and year-over-year performance growth
• Draft/Edit of press materials, manage new media content development, pitch for ongoing placements
• Provide strategic communications counsel based on robust knowledge of internal and external environment
• Proactively collaborate and partner with the regional media relations and social media teams
• Negotiates and manages budgets and demonstrates the ROI and value of Media Relations/PR to the business
• Effectively develops and coaches teams and builds the next generation of leaders.
• BA/BS in a communications-related field, with
• 10+ years of experience in public relations, media relations, communications or related
• Background in retail or other consumer business; general knowledge of the department store business a plus.
• Exemplary command of language and writing (communications plans, press materials, executive messaging/presentations, etc.).
• Digital and social media savvy, and passionate about using these skills for corporate communications.
• Must be able to manage multiple projects and priorities in a fast-paced environment.
• Must have knowledge and understanding of basic mathematical principles.
• Flexible approach to work with ability to toggle between projects and priorities in a high pressure environment.
• Innovative, creative, proactive and confident thinker.
• Must be able to stand, walk, bend and occasionally lift boxes under 30lbs.
• Advanced use of Microsoft Office suite and other software programs.