The Intercept, a publication of First Look Media, was launched in 2014 to provide an outlet for fearless, adversarial journalism. Our reporters have the editorial freedom to hold powerful institutions accountable, digging beneath the official lines to bring audiences the hidden truth. The Intercept’s award-winning coverage focuses on national security, politics, civil liberties, the environment, technology, criminal justice, media, and more. Regular contributors include co-founding editors Glenn Greenwald and Jeremy Scahill.
The Intercept is looking for a nimble, creative, independent thinker to help drive the growth of our publication and broaden its reach among new audiences around the world. From building The Intercept brand identity to brainstorming new and thoughtful ways to amplify the work of our dedicated editorial team across traditional, online and social media, we’re looking for a digitally savvy public relations professional who is inspired and motivated by The Intercept’s core mission.
- Lead development and implementation of communications strategy for The Intercept
- Amplify stories to build and expand engagement across different audiences
- Help arrange strategic external speaking opportunities for staff
- Manage award submissions and related events and publicity
- Pitch online, TV, radio, and print publications; strengthen and grow new and existing media relationships across various mediums and channels
- Develop and maintain standards and best practices for internal communications, including but not limited to: defining brand voice, contingency/crisis planning, and integrating with other First Look Media properties, as appropriate
- Serve as strategic partner to cross-functional teams related to internal audience development, product, and others
- Work with the audience engagement team to monitor social media, trending news items and analytics to identify and maximize outreach opportunities for stories; work with editorial leaders to communicate publication goals, strategy, and culture to press
- Collaborate on strategy for events, including planning logistics and programming
- Work with membership team to develop strategies for revenue growth, produce membership-related events and activities, and review membership communications materials
- 7+ years of work experience with at least 5+ years of developing and executing strategic PR plans, preferably for a media or advocacy organization
- Experience creating strategies to position new or existing digital entities in a competitive media marketplace
- Strong writing and editing skills, detail-oriented, able to make decisions quickly and thoughtfully, and adhere to daily deadlines
- Strong news judgment and commitment to the highest standards of journalism
- Working knowledge of the investigative news landscape, including topics related to national security, governmental surveillance, and social justice
- Experience working directly with journalists, understanding of the editorial process
- Confident, friendly communication style and ability to collaborate with colleagues effectively and creatively to problem-solve
- Comfort with the pressures of a fast-paced, unpredictable, live news environment and start-up culture
To apply, submit a résumé and a cover letter.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer--people of color, people with disabilities, women, and LGBT candidates are strongly encouraged to apply; we are committed to a diverse workplace, and to supporting our staff with ongoing career development opportunities.