New York Women in Communications presented the 2013 Matrix Awards Monday, April 22, 2013 to honor seven remarkable women who have changed the world, through their work in the communications industry. The awards were given during a luncheon hosted by WE tv at the Waldorf-Astoria in New York City, emceed by the entertaining and witty, Joan Rivers.
The Matrix Awards is recognized by the communications and entertainment communities as one of the most outstanding and prestigious events of the year. The awards ceremony was attended by more than 1,000 people, including notable names such as previous Matrix Award recipients, Martha Stewart and Arianna Huffington, as well as Joe Scarborough, Hoda Kotb, Savannah Guthrie, and Melissa Rivers, to name a few.
Portions of the proceeds from the Matrix Awards luncheon benefited the organization’s Foundation dedicated to cultivating female leaders in the communications field. The 2013 scholarship recipients were announced and awarded at the Matrix Awards. ”You young ladies are what’s coming down the line, you make me excited, proud, and hopeful for the future” stated honoree Audra McDonald. The Foundation offers financial support through generous scholarships and provides opportunities for professional development and mentoring, as well as an entrée to a diverse community of communications professionals. See the 2013 Foundation scholarship recipients on the Today Show on Matrix Monday.
2013 Matrix Award Honorees and Presenters presented by New York Women in Communications. Bottom from left to right: Jacki Kelley, Mindy Grossman, Bonnie Hammer, Anne Finucane, Audra McDonald, Joanna Coles, Kara Swisher. Top from left to right: Tom Curley, Iman, Ryan Seacrest, Mika Brzezinski, Val Demings, Nancy Weber for Christine Quinn, Barry Diller. Photo credit: www.maryannerussell.com
FROM THE 2013 MATRIX AWARDS: WORDS OF WISDOM FROM WOMEN WHO CHANGE THE WORLD
Anne Finucane, Global Strategy and Marketing Officer, Bank of America:
- “I don’t think it’s about breaking through in a man's world, it’s a matter of never allowing people to close the door on you.”
Mindy Grossman, Chief Executive Officer of HSN Inc:
- “Don’t look only at what’s in front of you today, instead focus on conceptualizing a new vision and leap into it”
- “Risk taking and boldness is the essence of transformation and the best ideas are rarely obvious”
Bonnie Hammer, Chairman, NBCUniversal Cable Entertainment Group:
- “It’s all about tuning out the noise, tuning out all the stuff that doesn’t mean game forward”
- “You either endure the pressures of a steep climb, or you get left behind”
- “There may be players on the field who are faster, stronger and clearly younger, but sometimes a more experienced eye has a little something extra that can make the difference.”
Jacki Kelley CEO, IPG Mediabrands North America and President, Global Clients, UM:
- “Pick people, not jobs. Stop climbing and start stretching”
Audra McDonald, Singer & Actress:
- “Raise up, celebrate and support women. We need it, especially in this time where it seems like we are moving backwards in time.”
Joanna Coles, Editor-in-Chief of Cosmopolitan magazine:
- “By all means, dream big. And then get ready because your life will exceed those dreams.”
Kara Swisher, Editor, Reporter and Author:
- “Who could possibly lean in that much so elegantly and effortlessly and look good doing it? It’s impossible."