Strategies for Success and Leveraging Diversity & Inclusion Resources
On March 4, 2013, NYWICI presented Cocktails & Conversations: Strategies for Success and How to Leverage Diversity & Inclusion Resources, a panel featuring leaders in the push for more corporate diversity. They discussed career advancement tactics and the need to secure a powerful sponsor in order to ascend into a leadership role.
- Recognize the people of power and influence in your company. Understand the reporting structure and how your department factors into their priorities.
- Sponsorship is a 2-way street: be excellent at your job and develop something which distinguishes you from the rest.
- Develop relationships with people in the immediate level above you and laterally. Find a mentor and make yourself useful. When your mentor gets promoted, s/he can advocate for you.
- Use your emotional intelligence and take a 360 degree view of the company/ department and find something that is missing. Then develop an expertise, something you can own.
- From the corporate side, companies can institute sponsorship plans and establish a program to find and review candidates who can be groomed as the next generation of leaders.
Slideshow images by Jan Goldstoff